It’s the peak of tomato season. If you’re growing your own tomatoes it probably feels like those delicious red globes are coming at you faster than you can cook or eat them. This week’s Tomato Tuesday, Rosemary Broiled Tomatoes, is a quick and easy way to serve up tomatoes at any meal — try these at breakfast as a side to scrambled eggs.
Rosemary Broiled Tomatoes
2 large ripe tomatoes
2 Tbsp (1/4 stick) butter
6 Tbsp minced green onion
2/3 cup fresh French breadcrumbs
2 tsp. minced fresh rosemary* or 1 tsp. dried
Salt & Pepper
1.Cut tomatoes in half crosswise, remove any hard, center core. Place tomato halves, cut side up, on a small baking dish. Season with salt and pepper.
2. Melt butter in a small skillet over medium heat.
3. Add green onions, stir until softened, about 1 minute.
4. Add bread crumbs and rosemary, toss to coat.
5. Spoon breadcrumb mixture on top of tomatoes, press to hold in place.
6. Place tomatoes under broiling and broil until crumbs are golden brown and tomatoes are heated through, about 2 minutes.